Do you ever watch dancers moving with so much mastery and wonder how they realised that it is the right style for them? Well, finding the right dancing style is something that can take a lot of experimentation and practise. Some people, however, say that all it took for them are instincts or watching someone else and deciding that they want to try out a particular dancing style.
If you are at a place where you want to start dancing, you are probably wondering what criteria you should use to choose the best dancing style. You should consider these factors:
- Fitness level: There are dancing styles like salsa and tango that require agility and for the body to move a lot and fast. If you are not fit, you will end up overwhelming your body and getting frustrated. It helps to start with the slow dances first as you work on your fitness journey before you get into the heavy movements.
- Your Heart’s Desire: This might sound like a contradiction, but sometimes all you need when choosing the right dancing style is to follow your heart. There are people who have followed their heart and defied odds to continue dancing at a time when people thought they would give up. If you love dancing, do not be restricted by a specific style. Keep trying till you find what you love.
- Level of Scalability : The best dancing styles for beginners are those that can be scaled up over time. You start slow and then build things up as you master the moves. Dancing styles like ballet are popular among young people because they allow people to grow into them.
- Teacher’s Enthusiasm: One of the factors that you should bear in mind when choosing a dancing style is the teacher’s enthusiasm, and how eager they are to issue instructions. A teacher who is willing to guide you through the dancing lessons can spark an interest in a particular dancing style.
- Recommendations and Reviews: Consider reaching out to some of the dancers you know and ask them about their experience. If they give indications that they are enjoying a particular kind of dance, then you should try it.
No matter the kind of dancing style that you choose, you should never forget that the essence of dance is to have fun. If you are not enjoying it, then no matter how good you are at it, it is possibly not the best one.